Sunday 9 February 2014

Read my interview with Scenestr...


Sarah Beetson - scenestr of the day


What do you do?
I'm an artist and illustrator.

Why do you do it?
Because I love to draw, splash about rainbow colours all day, work from my big home studio with resident chooks, play loud rock music whilst I work, be my own boss, chose my own projects, keep my own working hours, go out and find inspiration, and enjoy a great level of creative freedom.

What do you love about the city you live in?
I live in the Queensland bush — so it really isn't a city! It is very lush and green and rather sunny all the time, which is still a novelty to a Brit like me despite almost 8 years of living in Australia! I am regularly visited by cows, chickens, wallabees and the occasional bandicoot. I do spend a fair bit of time in Melbourne and Brisbane, as well as 2-5 months per year in London.

Where did you go for your last holiday?
I did a European marathon of short trips which included Iceland, Ireland, Paris, Greece, Devon and Lake Garda in Italy.

What's your favourite item of clothing? Why?
Tough choice, but I think I would have to say a 70s sarong which is the only vintage item I have inherited from my mother. There is a photo of her wearing it with my brother as a baby on her lap. We think it could be an Emilio Pucci but we're not sure. It is a tangerine red and printed with abstract yachts on colourful waves in purples, blues, gold and orange. It has been my summer staple since I was around 18.

What was your favourite TV show when you were a kid?
I think it would be a contest between: Pink Windmill, Crackerjack, Funhouse or Muppet Babies.

If you could travel back in time for a day, where would you go?
I think I would go back to Wembley Stadium on July 13, 1985 to watch the first part of Live Aid, then hitch a ride with Phil Collins via Concorde to Philadelphia for the US leg of the concert.

If we were coming over to your place, what would you cook for us?
Soba noodles with anchovies, asparagus and chilli. 

What's the best lesson you've ever learned?
My mum always told me "Do as you would be done by". It works wonders.

Tell us one thing about yourself that nobody else knows... 
I have recently become a huge fan of watching UFC (Mixed Martial Arts) and particularly The Ultimate Fighter reality show!

Are you happy with your work/ life balance?
I feel like I have refined this very well in the last few years. I used to live in Melbourne, where I'd spend weeks on end in my studio with a not terribly inspiring view, working like mad, and then force myself to go out for the day and take in some inspiration. I would miss so much of what was going on and not really make the most of all the city has to offer. Now I work in a really beautiful natural envoironment, and I take trips to the city to get my social fix and fill of the gallery shows, film festivals and cultural events when I need to.

How do you define success?
For me being successful is about constantly striving to develop and move forward with my work, never resting on one's laurels and placing the creative process at the forefront of all that I do.


No comments: